Two Wheel Females    

Go Back   Two Wheel Females > Garage Talk > General Wrenching Discussions

General Wrenching Discussions For the How To articles that don't have any other place to go.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
maximoto
MM

Default KLR650 Kickstand needs to be shorter?

The kickstand on my KLR650 seems to be too tall. I spent an amazing amount of time and energy on our last tour just making sure that my bike stayed upright. Such as parking the wrong way in diagonal parking stalls making me face head on into the line of traffic to get in or out (not fun). Also every time I'd have to find a low spot in the parking lot or what ever and sometimes it meant not getting off of my bike at all during short stops. There has to be an easier way. Guidance would be greatly appreciated.
maximoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
BlueLghtning
GypsyAngel's Hubby

Default Re: KLR650 Kickstand needs to be shorter?

Well, the easiest way is just to have your kick stand shortened. Just curious, is your KLR lowered? Usually that's the only reason the kickstand is too long? Do you have a centerstand on it you could use? Although if it is lowered, they are even harder to get on the center stand.

Stock height KLR's are not known to stand up straight as far as I know. In fact, I have taller suspension on my KLR so even on the centerstand, the rear wheel still touches the ground and it actually leans over quite far on the kick stand.

If you want it to sit right on the kick stand, you either need to raise it back up or get a shorter kick stand. You could buy a spare off ebay or just take yours off and take it somewhere to be shortened. I would think anyone that can do some welding could cut the foot off, make it a bit shorter and weld the foot back on.
Hers: 06 F650GS, 12 Duc 696, 13 CRF250L, 06 XT225
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

States & Provinces I've ridden in:
49 states completed between 2006 & 2008

Last edited by BlueLghtning; 02-17-2010 at 10:09 AM.
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
KansasKawboy
KK

I agree with BlueLightning, my KLR is lowered and I got another stand and shortened it. I never had any problem when it was stock.

A smile is something you can't give away,
it always comes back to you.
KansasKawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
maximoto
MM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Well, the easiest way is just to have your kick stand shortened. Just curious, is your KLR lowered? Usually that's the only reason the kickstand is too long? Do you have a centerstand on it you could use? Although if it is lowered, they are even harder to get on the center stand.

Stock height KLR's are not known to stand up straight as far as I know. In fact, I have taller suspension on my KLR so even on the centerstand, the rear wheel still touches the ground and it actually leans over quite far on the kick stand.

If you want it to sit right on the kick stand, you either need to raise it back up or get a shorter kick stand. You could buy a spare off ebay or just take yours off and take it somewhere to be shortened. I would think anyone that can do some welding could cut the foot off, make it a bit shorter and weld the foot back on.
Thanks BL, except for the pannier brackets the bike is stock. I guess it's time to let the sparks fly!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Tractor

Sparks sound like the answer. Before it falls and you are faced with the cost of replacing bits. Hope you can get it sorted out before the season is in full swing.
Tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
maximoto
MM

Sound advice but alas far too late for this bike, it's down with being down by this time I figure. I wish I could ship our snow to Vancouver , they need it! Go Canada Go!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
BlueLghtning
GypsyAngel's Hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximoto View Post
Thanks BL, except for the pannier brackets the bike is stock. I guess it's time to let the sparks fly!
Are you height challenged? Did you buy the bike used? Maybe a previous owner put longer "dog bone" links on it and lowered the rear? It seems to be pretty common to lower KLR's. If its lowered a bit, it might be easier and give you your handling back to just go back to stock height with some stock dog bones. I'd be very surprised that your KLR is at stock height and the kick stand is too long.

So either you do have a flukey KLR with an abnormally weird stance, or it has been lowered at some point in its life.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
maximoto
MM

No BL, I'm average height and the Bike was purchased new. I was offered the lowering kit at the time of purchase but told I should try without first. The bike fits me great and I feel confident riding it. It's my first bike and we've be through a great variety of obsticles together so far. It's a very capable ride for sure this will be a fairly quick fix as I have access to a welding shop.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
BlueLghtning
GypsyAngel's Hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximoto View Post
No BL, I'm average height and the Bike was purchased new. I was offered the lowering kit at the time of purchase but told I should try without first. The bike fits me great and I feel confident riding it. It's my first bike and we've be through a great variety of obsticles together so far. It's a very capable ride for sure this will be a fairly quick fix as I have access to a welding shop.
Cool, well you should be set then with just chopping the kickstand.

Is this an 08-09 KLR by chance?

Old 02-18-2010, 12:41 AM   #10
KansasKawboy
KK

Another thought, are your front forks down in the triple tree like this (the orange arrow below the high beam light).

Or are they sticking up like this?

The bikes are shipped from the factory with them slid up and the dealer is supposed to slide them down. Sometimes it doesn't get done. The second and third pictures are mine with the bike lowered.

A smile is something you can't give away,
it always comes back to you.

Last edited by Luna Tique; 02-18-2010 at 03:18 AM.
KansasKawboy is offline   Reply With Quote