Two Wheel Females    

Go Back   Two Wheel Females > Farkles, Farkles, and more Farkles > General Farkle Discussions

General Farkle Discussions Don't see the farkle forum of choice? Then your farkle goes here.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
sweptwingnut
The NUT

Thumb Up The "no fuse required" Fuse Block by PDM60

All I can say is it is about time fuse block technology evolved!

The PDM60 does the same thing as adding a standard fuse block but it does it without the fuses. Electronic circuits interrupt the system in the event of a fault. Turn the bike on and off and the circuit resets itself as long as the fault no longer exists. Buying fuses is no longer necessary! It's about time.

http://pdm60.com

Last edited by sweptwingnut; 01-26-2014 at 08:27 PM.
sweptwingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
ridingAK
On the road less taken...

Default Re: The "no fuse required" Fuse Block by PDM60

That looks like a really interesting concept. I like it!

ridingAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
KansasKawboy
KK

That is cool!

A smile is something you can't give away,
it always comes back to you.
KansasKawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
msyzf2u

I've got to check this out!
msyzf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Unforgiven
Track HO!

I agree, about time!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
sweptwingnut
The NUT

Rocket Moto sells a wiring kit for 35.00 that is suppose to ease installation. http://www.rocketmoto.com/index.php/...cket-moto.html
Old 12-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
sweptwingnut
The NUT

After a little more research, it appears ROWE is developing a user programmable version that should be out soon. Programmable from your PC at home. This will negate the need for a dealer should a user have custom requirements.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Astir
What's next?

It is nice that it is sealed, I have a fuze block and LOVE it other than it doesn't seal.

The ability to configure it at home makes it more attractive. Having to rely on someone else to do it is a definite turn off for me. Wiring two circuits to cover something one doesn't cover is BS. I wouldn't consider purchasing it without me being able to configure it.

I would like to know the reaction times of the circuitry. Fuses have a long history and the metallurgy is quite amazing. It will be very difficult to convince me to switch out to electronic, keeping a few spare fuses is simply too easy. Starting from scratch, I would consider it after some positive reviews are out.

It is wonderful to see innovation like this, and see where it goes!! I wish them the best with this product!

Optimist: Someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, its more like a Cha-Cha.
Astir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
sweptwingnut
The NUT

Appears the current version is the second rendition. (I thought it was the first) Seems they came out with version 1 in late 2010/early 2011. Some guys on ADV have been using version 1 (v1) for the last year or so without fail and are quite pleased with it's performance thus far. Everyone appears to like the improvements made in v2.

But here we are with a user programmable option currently in the works. Not sure if that will require a new unit altogether or if it will be available to all with v2 of the PDM 60. I would hope that anyone with v2 would be able to reap that benefit.

Could we be over thinking things with reaction time on the electronics? I mean, electronics by their very programming are faster to recognize and react than pure mechanics are they not? Guaranteed, they won't be in business long if they don't at least meet the standard of a mechanical fuse. I guess the bigger question for me is if they are UL listed. But that is not a game changer in my mind and more of a curiosity killed the cat.

A common complaint appears to be that each circuit is limited to 15A max. I agree with Astir that having to combine two circuits to cover an item such as a stebel horn (requires 18A) is BS. If we are going to have a programmable unit, one would think that 20A would be an option. But then again, I can't seem to find anything other than a stebel horn that would necessitate more than 15A so we may be thinking of that one possibility that really doesn't make a difference to the majority of users.

To this end, RocketMoto, in their description, leads me to believe that any of the 6 circuits can be programmed for any amp rating up to the 15A max as long as the unit itself doesn't exceed it's 60A rating. That adds a LOT of flexibility to the unit.

Fuses are simple and cheap to the extent that the installer places the block in a protected and easily accessible location. I have certainly burned my share of fuses just trying to trace a bad ground wire.

Fully encapsulated to protect agains the elements, no relays required, and resettable by turn of the ignition key, I think the PDM60 at least has the "potential" to significantly reduce many of our concerns.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
sweptwingnut
The NUT

I had a nice conversation with Blake at Rowe Electronics.

The current version (v2) of the PDM 60 will benefit from being user programmable in the near future. They are in the late stages of a custom cable that will allow that to happen for v2 of the product. My guess is that whenever a version 3 is produced it will include a cable of some variety in the package or be compatible with some every day USB cable you might already have in a drawer somewhere for programming.

Any circuit can be programmed for any Amperage from 1-15A in .25 increments. That is way more flexibility than any fuse panel currently offers.

I am told the reason each circuit is limited to 15A max is due to the construction of the circuit board in the unit. The metal on the circuit board is physically not capable of handling a 20A or 25A load for long durations. That said, I still can't think of an accessory that requires more than 15A (other than a stebel horn or margarita blender ) that we would want to run through a fuse block anyway. Both of those I would prefer to have direct to the battery anyway.

In the near future, Rowe intends to include a package of terminals and posi-loc connectors to help with the installation process. This will ease installation and one will not necessarily need a separate wiring kit like the one RocketMoto has developed.

Ya know, the nice thing about this product is that you can immediately see which circuit is giving you trouble without having to remove seats, body panels, and fairings. You can quickly see that the "Aux lights" on circuit three has failed just by looking at the LED on the module. Instead of digging around for a new fuse to see if a fault still exists or if it was just a week fuse that was the culprit, or if it was a rare current spike, simply turn the bike off a few seconds and restart. The circuitry resets itself if the fault no longer exists. Drive on. If the fault returns, you know that you have an issue with that accessory and are able to convey that to your mechanic. You don't even have to get off the bike. I find that quite confidence inspiring for those that are less inclined to wrench on their bikes.

Rowe-Electronics, I am impressed.

Here is some light reading from the BMWMOA's January edition containing a review of the PDM 60. Also attached is a programming basics sheet and a configuration spreadsheet (excel) for those that might be interested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PDM60 - BMWMOA Review.pdf (814.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: pdf PDM60 - Programming Basics - 101612.pdf (146.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: xls PDM60 - Programming Configuration Sheet 110812.xls (681.0 KB, 1 views)